|Burger with Portobello, Bacon and Rocket|
I had a hankering for a burger... So this is what I did...
Ingredients for 4 burgers:
For the Patties
700 grams minced beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 yellow onion - diced
4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons Worcester sauce
1 teaspoon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup rocket or lettuce
150 grams Portobello mushrooms - sliced
2-3 shallots - chopped
8 pieces bacon rashers
4 slices cheese (I used cheddar but you can use your favorite kind)
4 store bought burger buns (I like to use those by "Swiss bake" from cold storage)
Butter for spreading on the buns.
Cook the mushrooms:
1. Heat some cooking oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Add in the shallots and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms soften and start to brown slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
The rest of the stuff:
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix all patty ingredients together. Best to use your hands, get in there! Shape into patties and chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes to help firm them up.
2. Cook bacon rashers in an oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 15-20 mins. When done, set aside.
3. Cut the burger buns across. Spread some butter on each cut side.
4. In a frying pan, place the buttered side of the buns on the hot pan over medium high heat until the buttered sides are nicely browned. Might need to do this in batches if your pan is not large enough. Once done, set the browned buns aside.
5. Heat some cooking oil over medium heat in a frying pan. Cook the patties in the pan, about 3-4 minutes per side. Place a slice of cheese over each patty about 30 seconds before you remove the patties from the frying pan.
6. Place a patty on the base of each bun, followed by bacon, rocket and mushrooms. Compliment with mustard or ketchup to your preference.
Enjoy! Do share your favorite toppings for your burgers.